Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 17, 2015

DORA SIGERSON SHORTER 1866-1918


-o0o-

THE MOUNTAIN MAID

Half seated on a mossy crag, 
Half crouching in the heather; 
I found a little Irish maid, 
All in June's golden weather. 
Like some fond hand that loved the child, 
The wind tossed back her tresses; 
The heath-bells touched her unclad feet 
With shy and soft caresses. 

A mountain linnet flung his song 
Into the air around her; 
But all in vain the splendid hour, 
For deep in woe I found her. 
"Ahone! Ahone! Ahone!" she wept, 
The tears fell fast and faster; 
I sat myself beside her there, 
To hear of her disaster. 

Like dew on roses down her cheek 
The diamond drops were stealing; 
She laid her two brown hands in mine, 
Her trouble all revealing. 
Alas! Alas! the tale she told 
In Gaelic low and tender; 
A plague upon my Saxon tongue, 
I could not comprehend her.

-o=0=o-

This Irish poet and sculptor was a major figure in the Literary Revival in Ireland. Her friends included the writers and poets Katherine Tynan, Rose Kavanagh and Alice Furlong.

POETRY - A PERSONAL CHOICE is updated every weekday

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment