Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

THOMAS HOOD 1789-1845


-o0o-

I REMEMBER, I REMEMBER

I remember, I remember 
The house where I was born, 
The little window where the sun 
Came peeping in at morn; 
He never came a wink too soon 
Nor brought too long a day; 
But now, I often wish the night 
Had borne my breath away.

I remember, I remember 
The roses red and white, 
The violets and the lily cups - 
Those flowers made of light! 
The lilacs where the robin built, 
And where my brother set 
The laburnum on his birthday, -
The tree is living yet!

I remember, I remember 
Where I was used to swing, 
And thought the air must rush as fresh 
To swallows on the wing; 
My spirit flew in feathers then 
That is so heavy now, 
The summer pools could hardly cool 
The fever on my brow.

I remember, I remember 
The fir-trees dark and high; 
I used to think their slender tops 
Were close against the sky: 
It was a childish ignorance, 
But now 'tis little joy 
To know I'm farther off from Heaven 
Than when I was a boy. 

Writings by this English poet, author and humourist regularly appeared in The London Magazine, The Athenaeum and Punch. Later, he published a magazine whose contents were mainly his own work.

-o=0=o- 

No comments:

Post a Comment