Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 27, 2016

A DAUGHTER OF EVE
Christina Georgina Rossetti 1830-94

 A fool I was to sleep at noon,
         And wake when night is chilly
     Beneath the comfortless cold moon;
     A fool to pluck my rose too soon,
         A fool to snap my lily.

     My garden-plot I have not kept;
         Faded and all-forsaken,
     I weep as I have never wept:
     Oh it was summer when I slept,
         It's winter now I waken.

     Talk what you please of future spring
         And sun-warm'd sweet to-morrow -
     Stripp'd bare of hope and everything,
     No more to laugh, no more to sing,
         I sit alone with sorrow.

The new Art Blogs begin on Wednesday 1st June
ONE HUNDRED PAINTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
and
THE ART OF JOHN WILLIAM GODWARD

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment