Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I HEARD A LINNET COURTING
Robert Bridges 1844-1930

I heard a linnet courting
His lady in the spring:
His mates were idly sporting,
Nor stayed to hear him sing
His song of love. -
I fear my speech distorting
His tender love.

The phrases of his pleading
Were full of young delight;
And she that gave him heeding
Interpreted aright
His gay, sweet notes, -
So sadly marred in the reading, -
His tender notes.

And when he ceased, the hearer
Awaited the refrain,
Till swiftly perching nearer
He sang his song again,
His pretty song: -
Would that my verse spake clearer
His tender song!

Ye happy, airy creatures!
That in the merry spring
Think not of what misfeatures
Or cares the year may bring;
But unto love
Resign your simple natures,
To tender love.

TWO NEW ART BLOGS
are coming soon
ONE HUNDRED PAINTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
will replace
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL ART
and
THE ART OF JOHN WILLIAM GODWARD
will replace
THE PAINTINGS OF EDVARD MUNCH

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment