Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

HOPE
Emily Jane Bronte 1818-48

Hope was but a timid friend -
She sat without my grated den 
Watching how my fate would tend 
Even as selfish-hearted men. 

She was cruel in her fear. 
Through the bars, one dreary day, 
I looked out to see her there 
And she turned her face away! 

Like a false guard false watch keeping 
Still in strife she whispered peace; 
She would sing while I was weeping, 
If I listened, she would cease. 

False she was, and unrelenting. 
When my last joys strewed the ground 
Even sorrow saw repenting 
Those sad relics scattered round; 

Hope - whose whisper would have given 
Balm to all that frenzied pain - 
Stretched her wings and soared to heaven; 
Went - and ne'er returned again!

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment