Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 13, 2016

THE SOUNDS IN THE EVENING
Eleanor Fargeon 1881-1965

The sounds in the evening 
Go all through the house, 
The click of the clock 
And the pick of the mouse.

The footsteps of people 
Upon the top floor, 
The skirts of my mother 
That brush by the door.

The crick in the boards, 
And the creek of the chairs, 
The fluttering murmurs 
Outside on the stairs.

The ring of the bell, 
The arrival of guests, 
The laugh of my father 
At one of his jests.

The clashing of dishes 
As dinner goes in, 
The babble of voices 
That distance makes thin. 

The mewing of cats 
That seem just by my ear, 
The hooting of owls 
That can never seem near.

The queer little noises 
That no one explains,
Till the moon through the slats 
Of my window-blind rains. 

And the world of my eyes 
And my ears melts like steam 
As I find my pillow 
The world of my dream. 

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment